Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Inconvenient Convenience

The technology in this day and age is astounding.  My grandfather, or even father for that matter, probably would have never guessed that you could order something from your home on the internet and a few days later have it delivered by courier to your door.  Its not that I don't like going to stories, but depending on where you reside, many things may not be accessible, and if they are, may be overpriced.  Well, last week I made an online purchase and eagerly anticipated its Wednesday arrival.  I was able to track is movement online all the way from Illinois.  So far so good, right, however, I am not typically sitting around my apartment waiting for the FedEx man.  Therefore, I get home at around 6:30 pm, to discover that the "First Attempt" was made at 6:10 to deliver my package, but because I was not present to sign for it, an other attempt will be made the next day between 3 and 7 pm.  Excellent, I have plans between those hours, they are called work and play.  I consider skipping out on basketball to come home early, but decide not to.  It was a good thing, because this day the "Second Attempt" was made at 5:00, so I would not have been home that early anyhow.  (I would have aimed to be there closer to the 6:00 time slot)  So now I need to be home for the "Final Attempt", otherwise it will be held at their depot for 5 days for pickup and then returned to sender.  Not knowing where the depot was, I called to inquire and discovered it is in Salem, OR, 40 miles away!  Oh, how easily the great convenience would become inconvenient if I would have to make an 80 mile trek simply to pick up a package that I was hoping to get at my doorstep.  Well, luckily for me, I was able to be around on Friday when Mr. FedEx made his special delivery.  Just thought it was a lot of hassle, and could have been worst, for what ideally is suppose to be so simple.

2 Comments:

Blogger mysterio said...

Close call! That would have beena tough break. Later cuz.

6/12/2006 3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sympathize. I went to the post office to mail a few packages. I thought it would only be a 10 min or so stop. However, b/c new software had been installed on the PO computers, this trip took about 1/2 hr. Instead of being able to mass produce mailing labels, the postman had to enter each package individually. Not only that, each entry consisted of 8 buttons pushed to select my specified mailing directions, which consisted of "send it book rate". I think the pony express would've been faster.

6/13/2006 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home