Sunday, July 08, 2007

American Pastime

First Thought:
This is a little overdue, but better later then never. A couple weeks ago the Boston Red Sox were in town the play the Atlanta Braves, and I was fortunate enough to attend one of the games. Unfortunately the Braves lost in a game that included a rain delay. Now this is not the first Braves game I have been too, but it was the first that actually got me to reflect on my history with the Braves. For some reason the Braves have always been my favorite baseball team. Maybe it is because in the early 90's when they where constantly good and I was starting to get into baseball. When they played the Blue Jays in the 1992 WS I cheered for the Braves while it seemed the rest of Canada was backing the Jays. Maybe is was because I thought the tomahawk chop was the coolest thing ever. Anyway, as I sat there enjoying the game, I thought about how fifteen years ago, watching the Braves on TV, I would have never imagined that I would be living in Atlanta, taking in Braves games in person. Isn't it interesting how our lives take shape and we have no idea what the future as in store for us?From a Braves game last fall

Second Thought:
Some of you loyal readers maybe remember about a year I posted about how the Oregon State baseball team had won the National Championship. Well, this year they became only the fifth team to repeat as the National Champions...which is awesome. At the beginning of the season no one excepted the team to do very well, they had lost the majority of their pitchers and all but 2 starting fielders to the pros or just graduation. They barely made it into the post season play, because of poor PAC-10 conference play, but once they started playing the post season they were on a mission, only losing 1 of their 12 games. There are a ton of other impressive statistics I could spout off about the team, but won't. If you so desire, you can read about it here and here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

yes Ryan. I remember 1992 and the Braves, watching the last game of the world series here in Calgary with your family while you were visiting me. Seems you stuck with them for the long term.

7/08/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Glad you remember that Scott!! That visit was about baseball and Nintendo on the big screen as I remember it!

7/08/2007 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home