Iron People
Two weeks ago today, my uncle Steve had the privilege of running in the 2007 Ford Ironman Coeur d'Alene triathlon. I can't imagine all the preparation that it would take, but I do know that he registered about a year in advance. For those unfamiliar with what all an Ironman consists of, it is the mother of all races. You start with a 2.4 mile swim, then transition to a 112 mile bike ride, and then finish the triathlon with a 26.2 mile run. The professional who won this years race did all of that in just under eight and a half hours. Uncle Steven Schultz crossed the finish line just before the cutoff, but crossed it none the less. Uncle Steve even had an article written about him in his hometown paper! From the Post Falls Press:

I wanted to bring proper credit to this amazing accomplishment. Also, my cousin Heather's sister in law also ran the race for her first time and finished in under 14 hours, which seems phenomenal to me. So CONGRATULATIONS to these two iron people!
Uncle Steve got me to thinking about personal accomplishments and goals that we set for ourselves, and he has greatly inspired me. Although I may never make it to an Ironman, I do think I would like run a marathon at some point. Maybe I'll start with a 10k race, then work my way up. I am not much of a running fan, so my first obstacle will be to overcome that challenge. But like I said, those that have done it before me will give me hope.

Post Falls resident still an Ironman in his family's eyes
By MARC STEWART
Staff writer
COEUR d'ALENE -- Steve Schultz won't get a fancy certificate or an official time from Ironman North America that says he's an Ironman.
But try telling his wife and children he's not made of iron -- they won't believe you.
The Post Falls resident was the second to last person to cross the finish line Sunday night. While he crossed the line just before the midnight cutoff, Schultz didn't qualify because he didn't complete both loops of the swim.
"I am amazed," his wife, Patti, said shortly after he crossed the finish line. "I am so proud of him."
As rock and roll blared and an enthusiastic crowd cheered, Schultz jogged across the finish line in a rainstorm with a perma-grin.
"It's good to be done," the 58-year-old Avista engineer said.
Rough waters on Lake Coeur d'Alene had forced Schultz out of the water after one loop around the course. He went on to finish the 112-mile bike ride and the 26.2-mile marathon. His time was 16 hours, 57 minutes, and 20 seconds.
"They gave us the option of continuing," he said. "It was very choppy."
Out of 2,262 competitors, Schultz was one of 57 who opted to skip some or all of the water segment.
"We don't want it too rough," said Andy Emberton, race director. "Obviously, adults have to make decisions based on their ability. We don't want people to walk away from the beach with nothing."
Several Ironman competitors grumbled Monday night that they've never heard of a change like that. Offering a duathlon is unusual but not unheard of, Emberton said.
"People applauded the decision when it was announced," he said.
Schultz said he wasn't sure if he would try again next year. He reveled in the moment and accepted hugs from his family.
"I couldn't have done it without my wife," Schultz said. "She's my inspiration."
I wanted to bring proper credit to this amazing accomplishment. Also, my cousin Heather's sister in law also ran the race for her first time and finished in under 14 hours, which seems phenomenal to me. So CONGRATULATIONS to these two iron people!
Uncle Steve got me to thinking about personal accomplishments and goals that we set for ourselves, and he has greatly inspired me. Although I may never make it to an Ironman, I do think I would like run a marathon at some point. Maybe I'll start with a 10k race, then work my way up. I am not much of a running fan, so my first obstacle will be to overcome that challenge. But like I said, those that have done it before me will give me hope.


2 Comments:
Very inspirational! I reached a moment like that a few years ago where I needed a goal and decided to do a marathon. Wasn't much of a runner either. Took me almost 10 months to train, but I did it am still running! Best of luck and it is definitely possible!
Nice Ryan - thanks for posting Steve! He actually is thinking about doing it the summer after this next one - but he'll have to get my vote too!
Good blogging - If your engineering ever fails to make you money,use your writing skills!
your favorite auntie. (you know, but for others reading this, thatwould be, patti)
Post a Comment
<< Home